Crowns & Bridges
If you have a damaged or decayed tooth, Dr. Girskis can help you choose the best solution. Crowns and bridges are custom-fitted tooth prosthetics that function and look like natural, healthy teeth. Veneers are a less invasive alternative, but may only be a solution for those with slight tooth damage or discoloration. These thin porcelain or resin shells come in customizable colors and are bonded to the surface of your teeth with final cements.
A crown, otherwise known as a cap, is custom-fitted to your bite and is placed over your natural tooth or dental implant. We recommend this procedure for those who have an intact tooth without root decay. The tooth may be damaged or decayed on the surface.
There are different types of dental crowns.
- Ceramic — These are used for restoring front teeth, and are popular in this area for their ability to blend with your natural tooth color. The crown is made of a porcelain-based material.
- Porcelain-fused to metal – This crown provides a stronger bond than regular porcelain because it is connected to a metal structure. It's also extremely durable.
- Gold alloys – This crown is a mix of gold and other precious metals. In addition to providing a strong bond to the tooth, it doesn't fracture, nor does it wear away the tooth itself.
A dental bridge is identical to a crown with the simple change of it being made up of multiple teeth. A dental bridge is also a long term plan in restorating an area of dentition with the loss of a tooth.
Types of Bridges:
- Traditional — Crowns are bonded over teeth that lie on either side of the missing one
- Cantilever — Crown(s) are bonded over a single tooth next to the missing one
- Resin-bonded (Maryland bridge)— Porcelain teeth that are supported by metal “wings” that will cement to the opposing teeth of the ones being replaced
Crown & Bridge Procedures in two appointments:
We will reduce the problematic tooth for a proper crown/bridge fit
An digital 3D scan will be taken of each patient's mouth to fabricate the crown/bridge
The color of crown/bridge prosthetic can then be customized by manual shade taking and digitally with the 3D scanner
We will fit each patient with a temporary crown/bridge at that first appointment to protect the tooth/teeth until the fabrication of the crown/ bridge is complete
- At the second appointment the new completed crown/bridge will be adjusted as needed and cemented for completion